Skip to main content

There Is No 'Mademoiselle' in France Anymore


So the France government finally announced that the term 'mademoiselle' should be eliminated from all official documents in govermental places. Good time for feminists who argued for a long time differenciating between a married woman and single woman by using different words is wrong.

There is the same thing in English language, but the term "Ms" has been coined to avoid the argument above, but the words Miss and Mrs are still in use as far as I know.

We don't have two different words for a married woman or single woman in Iran. In both cases the woman will be called "khanoom". This shows in Iranian culture it is not important to know if a woman is married or single in everyday conversation.

But there's no need to be pompous about. Any culture has its own other side:

The only time two words for differenciating between a single woman and the one who has married before is being used is at the time of marriage when the cleric is announcing the man and woman husband and wife. By calling her "dooshizeh" it means the woman has never been married before, and by calling her "banoo" it means she was married before. These 2 terms are not used  in everyday spoken Persian. Only at the time of marriage.

And now this part of our culture shows itself: It is important to know if a woman is virgin or not at the time of marriage.

Ugh.

Also, the word girl can have a very different meaning in Persian as well: "She's still a girl" means she's still a virgin, and "she became a woman" means she lost her virginity. (girl in Persian language is dokhtar and woman is zan)

Ugh again.

I personally found the use of the words girl and woman like that very offensive and very low-cultured. Thank goodness it's not common.

Now I bring an example for you to show you how the simple words woman and girl can have hidden meanings in Persian and make a conversation complicated:

Me and my non-Iranian friend who can speak our language were talking in English about a female friend we met at the library.

Me: The woman we met at the library....
My friend, a bit surprised: She's not a woman!
Me: Come on, she is a woman.
My friend: She isn't a woman, she's not married.
Me: I know. But she's older than us, she must be in her late 30's, so she's a woman.
My friend: But don't you call an unmarried female in your language girl?!
Me: !!!! [Where did she learn this?!]

Anyway, the French prime minister hoped that the term mademoiselle would become out of popular use.

But if I went over to France, please call me Mademoiselle Mercedé. When somebody calls me that I feel like this:


It's sure cooler than being called Madame Mercedé.

Isn't it?


Here are some pictures and me adding jokeful captions under them:

Call me mademoiselle and I'll kill ya.

Will you marry me mademoiselle... sorry I mean madame?


They should have done it sooner.

How can you really call me Madame?

That's not possible.

Who cares?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Terms of Endearment in Persian Language

Terms of endearment are the words people say to show love and affection, like dear, honey, babe, etc. in English language. These are terms of endearment in Persian language. You can use them with your friends as well:

azizam: dear
eshgham: my love
khanoomi: missy
janam?: Yes? (used when someone calls your name and you want to answer)
jan: dear (used at the end of names like "Sonya jan" which means dear Sonya)
jigar: (very informal) sweetie
jigar-tala: (very informal) sweetie (tala means gold, funnily enough jigar means liver!)
khoshgel khanoom: pretty girl (please use it just for females you know, if it's said to strangers it has a bad meaning)
aziz-e delam: the dear of my heart
asal: honey (not very common but still you can use it)
doosetdaram: I like you
Asheghetam: I love you
divoonatam: I'm crazy about you
mikhamet: I want you
delam vasat tang shode: I miss you
miboosamet: I kiss you
boos: kiss

You can surprise your Iranian friends/sweethearts with these words. Have fun!

"these days I speak of myself in the past tense"

Sometimes the Way It Rains Reminds Me of YouColleen J. McElroy these days I speak of myself in the past tense
writing about yesterday knowing tomorrow
is no more than mist crawling toward violet mountains
I think of days when this weather meant you
were not so far away   the light changing
so fast I believe I can see you turning a corner
the rain comes in smelling of pine and moss
a kind of brazen intrusion on the careful seeds of spring
I pay more attention to details these days
saving the most trivial until I sort them for trash
or recycle   a luxury I’ve come to know only recently
you have never been too far from my thoughts
despite the newborn birds and their erratic songs
the way they tilt their heads as if drowsing for the sun
the way they repeat their singular songs
over and over as if wishing for a different outcome

Queen Fawzia

Today I'd like to write about someone who wasn't Iranian but for sure had a role in Iran's history: Queen Fawzia.

If you ask me to name the most beautiful women in the world, one of them is certainly Fawzia Fauad.


Daughter of Malek Fauad, the Egyptian king, she was born in 4 November 1921 in Cairo, Egypt. Malek Faud's family were originally from Albania, and you can see that in their blue eyes and light hair.



Reza Shah, Iran's King at that time decided to choose a wife for his son Muhammad-Reza among Eastern princesses. From all those girls, Muhammad-Reza chose Fawzia.



Soon a Royal group from Iran with Muhammad-Reza Pahlavi left Iran to Egypt, for the courting ceremony and planning  the wedding. The young couple met there and a splendid feast was held.



After a few days Muhammad-Reza, Fawzia and a Egyptian royalty group including Fawzia's Mother and sisters arrived in Iran for the wedding ceremony. The ceremony was very magnificent according to the Life magazin…